Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sweetness

Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell yourself you tasted as many as you could.
— Louise Erdrich


Sweetness is a part of life. In my opinion there is nothing sweeter though than tasting nothing but bitter apples and then one day finding your first sweet one. Its so much better than all of the past experiences that you savor every bite. You're afraid to eat it too fast but your afraid its sweetness will fade if you wait too long so conflicted you consume it with as much restraint as possible. This person I have found has changed me in so many ways in such a short period of time that it amazes me. I am more free than I think I have ever been in this world and for the first time I am excited to sit by this apple tree and continue to taste as many as I can. Each day with him, each new apple seems to only get sweeter. Sure there are still some bitter apples thrown into the bunch but that's just life. It will always work that way. But every time I think of him there is a sweetness that I can't begin to describe. Its a natural, pure, sweetness that is so unique it makes everything taste that much better. If I am lucky he will continue to come as often as he can and each time he does show me how sweet this life can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment